Anyone who’s owned an Apple iphone for a couple months at least has probable experienced to accomplish an iOS Update — or at minimum wait around while their mobile phone downloads and installs an update instantly. Every so often Apple will inevitably iterate on the recent cellular running process to shut safety loopholes, increase new options, and if not make basic improvements to the software program.
But did you know you basically have extra management around your iOS updates than the Computer software Update menu would have you believe? As thatvirtualboy pointed out in a write-up on Mastodon, it is really about as greatly identified as being able to faucet and hold the spacebar on the iPhone’s keyboard in buy to drag the typing cursor as a result of your text.
It turns out that, in addition to merely starting up an iOS update download and installation, you can also inform your phone to complete the method for later. Or you can get started just the down load and keep off on setting up something until finally you happen to be ready (i.e. your day is winding down, you are heading to mattress, etc).
Here’s the trick
In purchase to pull this off, you initially will need to head into your iPhone’s Options and make confident automated updates are off, or else the cell phone will do all the things on its very own and bypass any options you could possibly have been equipped to make.
- Open the Settings application (it appears to be like like a equipment), then scroll down and select Typical.
- In the Normal menu, find Computer software Update (it can be shut to the leading).
- From there, choose Automated Updates and turn off Down load iOS Updates.
- You can also convert off automobile-updates for Stability Responses & Process Data files, but this would not influence guide iOS updates and it can be not some thing we would advocate opting out of.
Now that you can update iOS manually, it’s time to decide on your obtain:
- Open up the Configurations app and choose Typical, then select Application Update.
- From the Software package Update display, tap and hold (you should not just tap) Down load and Set up.
- A pop-up menu will surface with two new selections: Download Only or Download and Set up Tonight.
- Opt for Download Only to down load (but not install) the new iOS update.
- Opt for Down load and Set up Tonight to have your cellphone to execute the update on its very own afterwards in the working day.
- Notice that whichever selection you decide on (Down load and Put in, Down load Only, or Down load and Install Tonight), you may be requested to enter your iPhone’s password.